Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bill Gates loves algae, too

You may have noticed that a lot of my posts are about companies who make biofuel out of algae. This is for several reasons. I happen to think this technology is particularly promising, and because there are relatively few players in the market right now, it is easy to keep an eye on exactly what's going on. Oh, and I want to work for one of them. Real bad.

But it seems that I am not the only one who is infatuated with algae, because Bill Gates - that's right - has just invested an undisclosed amount of money into Sapphire Energy, a San Diego based company. For the record, I emailed Sapphire with a resume and cover letter, but they never got back to me. Anyway, Sapphire calls its product Green Crude, and according to this CNET review, it (the fuel) has been rated at 91% octane, which is good.

Other than that, all we know about Sapphire is that they can grow the algae in waste water. That is definitely an asset for Sapphire, but it's nothing that impressive. We all remember those pictures right before the Beijing Olympics - getting algae to grow usually isn't as much of a problem as getting it to STOP...

I'm glad, though, that we (me and Bill) see eye to eye on this issue. We had some slight disagreements over some new Windows Vista features, and when these new Seinfeld commercials started comming out... well, let's just say that our friendship was on the line. But investing in algae has redeemed Bill in my eyes, and I think I will invite him to my Chanuka party this year after all.

No comments: