Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A123: Batteries of the future

Keep your eyes on A123Systems. They are a battery manufacturer using proprietary MIT technology to make batteries that are far better than the standard lithium ions.

Their recent claim to (potential) fame is that they are being considered by GM to provide the battery for the Chevy Volt. GM was considering one other battery manufacturer, LG Chemicals. GM has announced that it has decided on one, but won't say which.

Personally, I like A123. From what I've read, their batteries are designed to charge quickly, not wear out over time and be able to handle damage without leaking dangerous chemicals or starting fires (which traditional lithium ion batteries are wont to do). I think they are on the right track, and I think their products will offer great performance.

I'm not crazy about the Chevy Volt, though. It still has an oil burning engine (which will charge the battery). I keep hearing that it is behind schedule. And, even though GM claims it is losing money on the thing, I think it will be too expensive for a lot of people (40k).

Still, I think that a lot of people are looking at the Volt as the first "real" EV. In that sense, a GM contract would be amazing for A123; it would establish the company as a major contender in the market of EV batteries.

Of course even without the Volt, I think many eyes are turned towards A123. I'm sure that anyone who is planning on building a fleet of reliable electric vehicles (such as Shai Agassi) has this company on their radar...

Courtesy of Greentech Media

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi yoni :) nice blog